Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Assignment 1


Technology has shaped not only me and my peers, but also the way we function as a society. I know for myself, technology has changed the way I do research, communicate, and spend my free time and I'm sure that most people my age would agree. In the first video, Olivia is attached to technology even though she doesn’t have her own computer. She finds ways to access the internet and spends hours on end on it. She uses technology as a means of communication and being that she lives in not the safest neighborhood; it allows her to talk to her friends without going out at night. Being that Olivia does not have her own computer but taught herself the skills necessary to use a computer shows that she is very bright and learns quickly.
                My 3 communication technologies that have influenced me the most have been the internet, television, and cell phones. These technologies allow for more convenience in communication. Gone are the days of driving to someone’s house to talk to them or picking up a land line telephone to talk to someone. Now you can be walking to McDonalds and talking to someone or texting someone while sitting at home. I know that I have fallen victim to these technologies and the convenience that they offer. I hate talking on the phone and I would much rather text someone than call them.
                The students in the second video clip all showed similar connections to technology that I have seen in myself. They all have cell phones and laptops. They all use Facebook or twitter to communicate. And they are within a similar age range. I think the second video showed that students nowadays would rather do something on a computer than by hand. They said that a computer allows you to change things and make them unique to you.Communication technologies also allows modern students to exchange information easier and collaborate in a more convenient way. With these modern technologies, finding information is as easy as hitting Ctrl+F and finding the exact phrase you're looking for.
                Technology is a powerful tool and can be used for great things and can also be a complete waste of time. As teachers we need to show students how to use the computer and all of these new communication technologies as a means to learn and not a way to get away from learning. Students like things that they can interact with like smart boards and online demonstrations, so by incorporating these things into our lessons and classrooms we can help make modern students more excited about learning.

2 comments:

  1. Glen, welcome to the class! I like how you have made a connection to the videos in your blog post. Hope you have a great class experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right, Glen. Technology is great but it has proven to waste a lot of time. In the video, Olivia spent about five hours a day on the computer and the teachers praised her for knowing so much, but kids these days grew up with the technology slowly introduced to them. She does not personally own a computer but can adapt so well to technology because she is still exposed to it and her skills will obviously look magnificent to someone who cannot adjust to the change. Does exploring Myspace give her the educational background to write well, or do math problems well? Does she even have time for homework? This technology is taking up so much time that has been wasted on customizing, downloading apps, etc. It's great but students can easily be distracted.

    ReplyDelete