Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Interactivity #5


The teacher that I interviewed was my cooperating teacher at Central High School in Newark. "Jim" graduated from Montclair State University and has 2 Masters degrees from Montclair also. He is originally from Haiti and was raised in the Oranges in New Jersey. He is currently teaching sophomore biology at Central High School.
When I showed Jim the NETS-S and NETS-T standards he didn't know what they were. After he read through them, he noticed that they are pretty technologically involved and some of his students do not have access to the kind of resources needed to meet the standards. Central High has no begun to implement these standards into their curriculum and according to Jim, it's because of the poverty that many of the students fall victim to. The school has installed Smart boards in all of the classrooms to increase technology proficiency in the classroom and the students love it. Honestly, I was not surprised with any of the answers he provided. We have had many conversations about the socio-economic status of the students in his class and the issue of technology has come up before. Many of the students do not have a computer at home and are not particularly technology proficient. When I have my own classroom I would definitely talk to my department chair about steps we can take to implement the NETS-S and NETS-T standards into the curriculum. 

1 comment:

  1. Glen, what are your thoughts on using Smartboards to increase technological proficiency?

    ReplyDelete