Friday, April 27, 2012

Observations in Newark 7


Today was my turn to teach again and the lesson was on Punnett Squares and Probability. I tried to make the lesson more relate-able to the students by making the probability question “If a couple wants to have 3 girls in a row, what is the probability of that happening?” The students liked that question and participated well through that section. Mr. N likes to give them a PowerPoint with guided notes so that they keep up with the lesson and it works really well with them. Ms. P gave me a SpongeBob genetics worksheet to use because the students love SpongeBob and it tied in directly to what I was teaching. I bought a slide changer remote to allow me to walk around the room while I was talking, so I could more effectively use proximity control. I am beginning to learn the students’ names and it definitely helps when I want to get everyone involved with the lesson. Mr. N said that he taught some of this stuff to these same students last year when he taught Environmental Science. 4 out of 5 classes went smoothly, and I was very pleased with that because it is only my second time teaching in front of these students.
            Period 1 gave me no problems. They followed along with the lesson and participated throughout. They completed most of the worksheet and the rest was assigned for homework. Using proximity control allowed me to walk over to a group that was having a side conversation and they quieted down as I got closer.
            Period 4 has the “swizzle stick” but he wasn’t out of line this week. He was participating throughout the whole lesson and stayed on task the entire period. The rest of the class was also very good and I was able to get through the information and help them figure out some of the stuff on the worksheet. Period 6 was my best class all day.
            Period 7 was the hell class. Students were coming in yelling and talking. Mr. N had to step in a few times to try and get the class back on task but that didn’t even work. Eventually we were able to get them on task for periods at a time but it was rough and extremely draining for the both of us.
            Period 8 was great as usual. That class respects me and is always participating and remaining on task. It was a nice way to end the day.
            One thing that frustrated me during the day was Ms. P’s substitute. Usually the sub will just sit in the back of the room and not do anything but she was trying to learn what I was teaching, which I didn’t mind at all. What I did mind was when she would interrupt me and call out groups of students who weren’t particularly on task and criticize them for not following along. I knew that they were aware of what was going on because I made sure to direct my questions to groups of students all around the room.
            I know for the future to incorporate more activities in my lessons. I want to just give them the info and go with the activities. If the class is moving and flowing, they tend to stay on task better than with a lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment